Dr. P. O. Oshun
MBchB, MPH, FMCPath.
WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY & PARASITOLOGY
Postgraduate Teaching: Academic and technical staff of the department give lectures, tutorial, seminars and laboratory exercise covering the various aspects of clinical Bacteriology, Parasitology, Virology, Immunology and Mycology to Medical/Dental undergraduates.
Postgraduate training at M.Sc/M.Phl/Ph.D level commenced actively in the Department in 1980, the department services the largest number of PG students in the whole of the College of Medicine. Our various courses include: Medical Microbiology, Parasitology, Virology /Immunology and Mycology.
2. Professional Training: The department currently offers extensive clinical and laboratory training facilities to Resident Doctors, Community Health Doctors, Trainee Laboratory Technologist (Medical and science) Nurses and Midwives. This is done in conjunction with professional institutions such as National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, West African Postgraduate Medical College, Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology and Science Laboratory Technology Training Scheme (SLTTS) of the University of Lagos.
Technology and Science Laboratory Technology Training Scheme (SLTTS) of the University of Lagos.
3. Industrial Training: The department offers laboratory- training facilities for 3-12 months to undergraduates from other higher institutions of learning (Universities and Polytechnics).
4. Clinical Laboratory Services: The department renders services to hospitals and private patients in the areas of clinical Bacteriology, Parasitology, Virology/Immunology and Mycology. Emphasis is placed on the clinical and epidemiological approach to microbial protozoa and helminthic diseases with appropriate laboratory methods for diagnosis and management of clinical cases.
5. Research: The Department is actively involved in research and collaborates with other Departments, local and International Institutions. We are currently involved with the WHO/TDR in Malaria research, HIV infection with the Harvard School of Public Health and Lassa fever with the Berhard Nocht Institute of Tropical Medicine, Hamburg- Germany.
6. Unilag Consult Services: The Department actively participates in UNILAG CONSULT and MEDILAG CONSULT services
The department is in charge of routine laboratory diagnostic services of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos and University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)
Science (BMLS): This is a new Bachelor Degree course in the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, and is to provide sound academic and professional background for the production of Medical Laboratory Scientists who would be capable of working anywhere in the world. To produce Medical Laboratory Scientists with sufficient management ability to play a leadership role and entrepreneurship in employing others, establishing self and also in training and general practice of laboratory science.